Note: This post is a companion to a response to the post “Support Your ECOO,” posted on edVisioned.ca on April 4th, 2017.
A New Year, A New Board
The Educational Computing Organization of Ontario (ECOO.org) strikes a new Board of Directors every year, coincident with the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
The ECOO Board is comprised of ten sitting members:
- President (annual)
- Vice President (annual)
- Secretary (annual)
- Treasurer (annual)
- 4 Directors-At-Large (two-year terms, two selected per year)
- Conference Chair (annual, appointed)
- Past President (annual, appointed)
Check out the ECOO Board of Directors, 2016-17.
The Nominations Process
The ECOO Bylaw very clearly lays out the process that is to be followed in establishing a new Board of Directors, and there are clear timelines which are to be followed in advance of the AGM.
- The incoming Board is to establish the Nominations Committee at its first sitting following the AGM. (Article 4, Section 5.7)
- The Call for Nominations must occur no later than three months before the AGM. (Article 8, Section 7.4a)
- The Call for Nominations must close no later than 40 days before the AGM. (Article 8, Section 7.4b)
- The Nominations Committee is to cause the names of the nominees along with their resumes to be published and distributed to all members (Article 8, Section 7.4c)
- If there is more than one nominee for an elective position, the Nominations Committee undertakes an election process using online voting, culminating with a final opportunity for members to cast in-person ballots at the AGM. (Article 8, Section 7.4c and 7.4d, paraphrased)
- The Nominations Committee makes the results available to the membership at the AGM.
Read the full details as set out in the ECOO Bylaw.
Classes of Membership and Voting
ECOO has two classes of membership, Active and Life. Both are entitled to vote.
Active Members of ECOO are comprised of conference attendees from the previous year’s conference and any non-conference attendee who has separately paid the annual membership fee. Life members (there are about 20) are individuals who have rendered meritorious and outstanding service to ECOO and have been recommended by the Board.
If there are any contested positions (more than one nominee for any one role), then all members of ECOO are informed via email and their membership number is used to authenticate their online vote. Final voting may take place in-person at the AGM, at which point the votes are tabulated by the Nominations Chair and made known to the members present. The results are then posted to the ECOO website and the membership is advised, usually during an address during the final day of the annual conference.
Do you recognize these ECOO Life Members?
Looking Ahead to the 2017 Nominations Process:
- The Chair of the Nominations Committee for 2017 is Kristy Lurker.
- Following the model of previous years, the AGM will likely occur on the Thursday of the annual conference, November 9th 2017. Note that the announcing of the date of the AGM is done by the Board, and cannot officially occur earlier than 120 days before the AGM. (Article 8, Section 1.1)
- Based on the date suggested above:
- Call for Nominations for 2017 should occur no later than August 9th, 2017.
- Call for Nominations for 2017 should close by September 30th, 2017.
- Details regarding the nominees will be shared with the membership (posted on website, mailing to the membership)
- Elections will take place (should they be necessary), culminating with the final voting, counting, and announcing of the results at the AGM.
A Call to Engagement
The ECOO organization is only as strong as its members. Without support from the membership, an organization falters. The Educational Computing Organization of Ontario (ECOO) has an opportunity to be much more to Ontario educators and learners than just an annual conference. It requires the engagement and the involvement of the membership in order to fulfil its potential as a provincial leader in supporting technology-related learning.
Our current Board of Directors has the opportunity to take ECOO to the next level. In addition to an annual conference, the board is looking to understand how the members wish to engage and is currently conducting a survey of the membership. Please consider adding your voice to help set the vision and establish some plans for the coming year.
As a closing reminder, don’t forget that the Call for Session Proposals for the annual conference, #BIT17 Bring IT, Together! 2017 remains open until this Friday. Educators throughout the province are invited to put forward their session proposals for consideration. Share your learning!
Please continue to support your organization so that it can support you, your peers, and future educators for years to come.